Pregnant This Summer? 5 Tips to Beat the Heat!
We’ve all heard that pregnant women shouldn’t use hot tubs, spas, or saunas – but what about the hot and muggy summer heat!? It’s hard to enjoy the “pregnancy glow” when we’re hiding our dizziness and trying not to faint.
Try these tips to continue enjoying summer activities and festivals while expecting!
- Drink TONS of water! Bring multiple bottles of water, or pack coconut water, smart water, water enhanced with electrolytes, Gatorade, etc.
- Wear a big floppy hat! Additional shade on your face and shoulders helps keep you cooler while out and about.
- Bring your own chair and find shade! Sitting in the shade can feel 10 degrees cooler than in the sun. Also standing for long periods can be bad for your circulatory system.
- Eat often! If you know the activity or festival you’ll be attending doesn’t have healthy options, pack some easy snacks like nuts, protein bars, and fruit. Most places won’t let you bring in a cooler, but if it’s allowed, pack some of these yummy options: cheese, veggies, and hummus.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! If you burn, you’ll feel even hotter for longer (in addition to damaging your skin). Pack your favorite face and body sunscreens – most likely the water/ sweat proof kind – since you know you’ll be “glowing” all day!
A word of caution: Keep an eye on the outdoor temperature and forecast. During high heat warnings and advisories, pregnant women should consider themselves with the sensitive groups of children and elderly. Heat Index and “feels like” temperature help us understand how hot it actually feels outside.
With the help of an AcuRite 5-in-1 Weather Station, you can monitor the feels like temperature at your home from your own backyard!